Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014



Alright people! It's 2014, winter break is over, and it is time to get back to a routine and back on a schedule.

Here's what I'm doing/trying to do to feel better going into 2014.

If your body is running smoothly everything else will be better aligned. You will feel less groggy at work. You will feel less stressed about the little things.

Here's HOW I'm doing it:

1. Fueling my body with the right stuff

I've been making healthy lunches for the week for me and my boyfriend to take to work ahead of time on Sundays. (Yes, that is 10 lunches)



This makes packing lunches in the morning so much easier and faster which means a few more minutes to snooze and I am so much happier come lunch time.

It's very simple to make: I buy a few bags of spring mix, a bag of shredded cheese and about a pound of chicken breasts (remember, this is for two people). I bake the chicken in the oven at 350 for about 40 minutes, shred it and ration it out. I put my favorite dressing in separate smaller containers. Have you tried BBQ sauce mixed with honey mustard? Do it! I also add a greek yogurt with my lunch.

I am also trying to drink more water! Any teacher can attest to how hard this is during the school day. Most elementary school teachers have two definite opportunities to go to the bathroom during the day: lunch, and when their students are in their special (art, music, etc...). I fill a 30 ounce water bottle in the morning and my goal is to at least drink the whole thing and then refill and drink at least half before I get home.

I have an hour commute to and from work. To prevent myself from stuffing my face the moment I step in the front door, I pack some nuts and fruit. I munch on these towards the end of the day or on my ride home. It has made a huge difference in how much food I consume when I get home.

2. Making fitness a priority

I have a gym membership but sometimes just the thought of getting myself together to go to the gym stopped me. I have stopped that from being my excuse and went to five below to buy some basic at-home-gym essentials.

This is what I bought :
- 2 free weights ($5 each)
- jump rope ($5)
- 2 weighted ankle bands ($ oops, I cant remember!)

This is what I already had:
- yoga mat
- foam roller (great for sore muscles!)

There are some great youtube channels that provide fitness instruction and work out videos for you to follow along. Here are some of my favorites:

Tone It Up

LivestrongWoman

Be Fit In 90

When we had that polar vortex nonsense last week I was still working up a sweat in my living room. It has been a nice change of pace. Sometimes I just want to work out alone and not have to deal with all the people and commotion at the gym. Does that make me sound anti-social? After a day at work, sometimes that is exactly how I want to sound.

By fitting fitness in my day on a regular basis, I have been sleeping better and have had more energy all throughout my day. I don't feel like I am crashing by 2pm and I am eager to go work out because I know it is one of the few times in the day that I am doing something solely for me.

Take care of yourself people!

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bb/de/07/bbde071c19163ae2438f1ee67e81c475.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment