Thursday, October 17, 2013

How to Survive a Long Commute

My new commute to work this year runs me about 45 minutes on a good day. With that chunk of time stolen from my day, I need to be as efficient as possible in the morning. I save some tasks for the drive and have in place things to look forward to.


Grab Your Cup of Joe

I purchased a couple of Aladdin travel mugs from Target. Make sure they will fit in your cup holders.

Aladdin Recycle & Recyclable Travel Mug - Green (16oz.)
Buy Here










I bought them in the same brand and style so that I wouldn't have to fish around everyday for the right lid. They all fit, no matter the color. I brew my coffee at home and drink it in the car. It will save you so much money to make your coffee at home. If you can't get away from drinking your Starbucks, give yourself one day a week to pick up coffee on the way. Choose a day you are the most miserable for a good pick-me-up.

I also bring a straw with me in my travel mug. I can sip as I drive without having to lift the mug up and risk a coffee spill if I go over a bump in the road.

Breakfast on the Go

I cannot say it enough, I do not want to waste my precious sleeping time to sit and watch the sun rise while I eat breakfast. I eat my breakfast in the car. I usually make myself some type of breakfast wrap or a breakfast sandwich. See my breakfast sandwich post here!

Proper Listening Material

Find some talk radio in the morning that you enjoy. It makes the drive go by faster, I promise. In the morning, I listen to...



On my way home from work I really like listening to podcasts. You can find and download podcasts about virtually ANYTHING. My personal favorite is Stuff You Should Know. I figure I have 45 minutes every day, I might as well get smarter while I drive! I have learned about Miranda Rights, how police sketches work, myths about the brain and more!





.

Overall, don't try to think about how long your commute is. No matter how much you think about it, it's still going to be a long. Try to use it as your time to reflect and relax.

[source]
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment